Sunday, June 8, 2014

When the Bells Ring in Taize

When the Bells Ring in Taize

It was in 1975, when I was a student that I first visited Taize Community in France. Ever since, it has become my second home. Brother Roger, it's founder is in the Celestial Community today, his spirit still leads the organisation, which is flourishing well. I am here with my wife Susan and my son Aby. It is their first visit.

Pope John XXIII once said: "Ah ...Taize, that little spring". I wrote a book on Taize long time back and it was sold out quickly. Taize had a big role in shaping my philosophy of universal oneness. I travelled to different parts of the world with Br. Roger and others. Incidentally, my first visit to United States in 1980 was from Taize and we had a series of meetings in the U.S and Canada.

Br. Roger was awarded the Templeton Prize in recognition of his selfless services and it was only one of the many.
 


These bells invite every visitor (thousands in summer) to the large Church, which is at the centre of the village. Taize songs and prayers are very special. It is an unforgettable experience, and no wonder, Taize has become a centre of pilgrimage, dear to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment